WOHA provides technical expertise in the development of program policies, collects specimens for clients in Washington, DC, and coordinates specimen collections nationwide for clients. WOHA’s physicians review all positive results in accordance with DHHS guidelines.
WOHA – MRO Specialists
ALL WOHA physicians are certified as MROs by the Medical Review Officer Certifying Council (MROCC).
Our substance abuse programs are fully customizable and include:
- Sample collection at our DC Clinic or nationwide through our provider network
- Analysis of specimens by a Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)-certified laboratory
- DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Non-DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Other customized testing
- Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry confirmation for specimens that are positive screening tests
- Review of positive tests by a certified Medical Review Officer (MRO) who explores alternative explanations for each positive drug test
- Referral to an employee assistance program for individuals that test positive
The Role of the MRO
The U.S. DHHS has defined the MRO as a “physician who is knowledgeable in the medical use of prescription drugs and the pharmacology and toxicology of illicit drugs.” The MRO must also be thoroughly familiar with analytic procedures and with relevant drug and breath alcohol testing regulations.
Our MROs examine positive test results and chain-of-custody forms to verify that the testing procedures comply with mandatory guidelines. The MRO then discusses the results with the specimen donor, and reviews any relevant medical records. In addition, the MRO may seek clinical evidence of drug abuse. A review of laboratory procedures and a retest of the specimen may also be indicated.
Our MROs determine whether there is a legitimate reason to account for the positive test result. If not, the result is reported as positive. Medical information gathered in this process is held in confidence by the MRO, as in any physician-patient relationship.
Need More Information?
For additional information about working at WOHA, please contact us directly at (202) 463 – 6698 or use the form on the right.